The magic of the landscape between spirituality and impressive villas
The town of Torreglia is marked by a mainly hilly area and another flatter. The oldest part of the village is the current "Torreglia alta" (top of Torreglia) which has developed around the church of San Sabino, a place of worship linking many foothill hamlets and villages. Only between the end of the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth centuries, the community transferred in the plain, towards Montegrotto, giving rise to the birth of the new Torreglia.
The etymological origin of the name is based on two assumptions: some claim it derives from "taurilia" (a fight between bulls, organized by Antenor, the mythical founder of Padua, so to thank the gods), others suggest "turricula" or "turrilia" which would refer to a small watchtower, probably the one on the Hill della Mira in the Middle Ages, which later became the bell tower of the aforementioned church of San Sabino.
The first to settle in the territory were the Romans, who used the waters of the still visible source Regina for the water supply of Montegrotto. Then it was the turn of the Benedictine monks of Praglia, which in the thirteenth century actually implemented a major land reclamation campaign, encouraging agriculture and the population of the territory. In the Middle Ages, the area was subject to the jurisdiction of noble and powerful families, first the Transelgardi and later the Da Lozzo.
In the fifteenth-sixteenth centuries, under the rule of the Venetian Republic, some sumptuous patrician villas were built in the area, among which Villa Dei Vescovi (work of Falconetto) in the hamlet of Luvigliano, Villa Gussoni Verson and Villa Tolomei (Mirabello), embellished in the nineteenth century by a park designed by Jappelli. Later, Villa Ferri-Salata, Villa Pollini, Villa Maluta (Assunta) and Villa Medin (Immacolata) were constructed nearby.
In 1339, the hermitage, still existing on Mount Rua, was erected thanks to the aid of the local population: the complex, characterized by the houses of the monks gathered around the Church of the Annunziata, was rebuilt in 1537 by the Camaldolese friars of Santa Corona. In addition, the church of San Martino in Luvigliano and Villa dei Vescovi, now owned by the FAI, are still interesting places to see. Other noteworthy visits can be to the Castelletto and the Roccolo Pass.
The famous scholar and latinist Jacopo Facciolati (1682-1769) was born in Torreglia and other famous people stayed there, attracted by the salubrious climate and the beauty of the landscape, such as the Abbot Giuseppe Barbieri (1774-1852), the linguist Niccolò Tommaseo (1802-1874) and the composer Cesare Pollini (1858-1912).
In 1911, following a great increase in tourism to the Euganean Hills, the first electronic tram “arrived” in Torreglia, connecting the town with Padua and in 1913 the first stone of the new church of the Sacred Heart was laid.
For lovers of food and wine, Torreglia offers numerous renowned restaurants and taverns where you can taste the traditional dish par excellence, the Torresano (tower pigeon). It is also recommended to try the excellent local wines and the "maraschino", a typical liquor made from morello cherries, produced by company Luxardo.