Municipality of Abano Terme
The town of Abano Terme, called Abano Bagni until 1945, stands in the province of Padua, in the heart of the Euganean hot-springs area. The peculiar conformation of the territory of volcanic origin has represented the fortune of this land which benefits from the thermo-mineral water sources.
In the past, Abano Terme experienced a period of great prosperity thanks to its thermal spas, celebrated by the quotations contained in the works of the great Latin writers such as Livy and Pliny the Elder.
Following the fall of the Western Roman Empire, the city lost importance, but, in the sixteenth century, it recovered new prestige, thanks to the noble families of Padua and Venice, who succeeded in carrying out a deep reclamation and re-evaluation of the thermal baths.
After the wane of the Repubblica Serenissima (Venetian Republic) in 1797, some middle-class Jewish families here began to invest in the accommodation facilities and undertook research on the actual benefits of thermal waters. This way, the foundations of the future economy of the area were laid, particularly after the Second World War, when a steady economic boom occurred, thanks to the spread of health tourism linked to the spas.
The Cathedral of San Lorenzo dates back to the half of the eleventh century: the old building (destroyed and rebuilt in the fourteenth century), was finally rebuilt _as it currently appears_ at the end of the eighteenth century, on the architect Domenico Cerato’s design. Inside, you can admire several works of art, including the paintings by Jacopo Ceruti, also known by the name of Pitocchetto.